Sunday, July 1, 2007

Ruzyně Airport - Terminal 2

In a previous post, I discussed some of the dining options at Ruzyně Airport's Terminal 1.

Now, it is time for a brief look at Terminal 2.

The main and most visible choices are on the departure level, near the check-in desks. It is a glitzy little corner that tries to be all things to all people -- sandwiches, pizzas, pasta, fried everything, desserts. I've tried a few things here, like the pizzas and sandwiches.

Summary: It is overpriced crap. Highway robbery.

Why they would build a brand new airport terminal and make these unimaginative and poor offerings the main dining options is beyond me.

Come to think of it, it is not beyond me.

Personally, I think it is because the people who made the decisions were small-minded and greedy. Instead of multiple options from a variety of different companies, there are multiple options from what looks like one big kitchen in the back.

I much prefer my bad, overpriced food to be prepared by different companies with different kitchens, thank you very much. What we have here looks like a monopoly. It adds one extra layer of badness.

There is no perfect dining choice, but if I must, there is only one place I'll eat and drink if I am in this part of the airport: Coffee Heaven

This faux Starbucks has a space downstairs by the doors from baggage claims and customs.

They offer a small variety of sandwiches and desserts. While not great, I'd say the food is a step above the quality upstairs, and the prices are a step below.

During my recent trip, I had a fajita wrap (with a new recipe!) for 98 CZK.

It came with chicken, beef, and refried beans in a tomato flour tortilla. There weren't too many other ingredients.

It was almost good. It could have been good except for one big defect: Way too much salt. Other than that, I'd definitely get it again. Otherwise, I might opt for a chicken salad sandwich if it is available.
One of the other big attractions here are the comfortable chairs. You really can eat and relax a bit here, unlike upstairs. There aren't many of them, though.
I'm not a big coffee person, but I did have one of my favorite soft drinks of all time: Nestea green citrus iced tea for 58 CZK. Sure, you can get it for half the price outside the airport, but it is relatively cheap for an airport beverage, which can be 100 CZK or more.

Anyway, I just love the stuff. It has less sugar than a Coke, and a great tannic tang.

Speaking of airport beverages, I thought I would address the issue of the price of a beer at the airport. I've heard claims that the most expensive beer in Prague can be found here.

However, if you are smart, once you get through passport control, you can have a few Pilsner Urquells before your flight and not go broke. You just have to be a little flexible.

Because if you feel you need the great, ahem, atmosphere of the Pilsner Urquell Air Bar, near the end of the B gates, you are going to pay heavily for it.

A half-liter beer there costs 135 CZK. At current rates, that is $6.35 or €4.70. Way steep.

However, if you look just a few meters to the left of the Air Bar, you will see this duty free shop. At the back of the shop, there is a refrigerator. In it, you will find nicely cold half-liter cans of Pilsner Urquell for 45 CZK. Grab a few of these and find a seat along the wall or in a waiting area. Canned beer never tasted so good.

There is a similar duty free shop in Terminal 1 with the same Pilsner Urquell cans for 40 CZK.

In the crazy world of airport beer prices, that's practically giving it away. So, if delays leave you stuck in the terminal, you'll be flying in no time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strange that you would even strive to appreciate the food in Ruzyne, it's on par with the average of Prague (horrid service, bad qulity, high price). If only we could fly from Brno. Bets option for people in Brno is to fly from Bratislava or Vienna.