Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Café Savoy Improvements

"Most journalists are restless voyeurs who see the warts on the world, the imperfections in people and places. Gloom is their game, the spectacle their passion, normality their nemesis." -Gay Talese
Unlike most journalists, I'm here to report some good news.

Café Savoy, one of the best looking restaurants in Prague, is looking even better.

In the past I've written posts about its breakfasts and many other offerings. It's not the cheapest place to eat, but I've sampled much of their menu and enjoyed most of it.

I had a morning off a few weeks ago, stopped by and was surprised to see it closed for reconstruction. They were busy sanding the hardwood floors when I peered in.

It reopened on July 11th, and we went for breakfast. I won't rehash our meal in detail -- I had the American Breakfast (255 CZK) and V had the Prague ham omelet. However, I'll note that this is the best ham I've ever had in an omelet (135 czk).

Food aside, I did think that fellow Savoy fans might be interested in seeing some of the work that was done.

Upstairs, they've rearranged the counters. They put one dessert display in front of the open kitchen space, opening up even more than it was.The counter space for servers was made longer where that display used to be.

Downstairs, they've done even more. Amazingly, where the old bathrooms used to be, there is now a staircase to the lower level. The new bathrooms are located there.To one side, there is a big window that looks down into another kitchen space another level below.Pretty nice view.

On the other side, there's a nicely designed space for storing wine bottles.I suppose it could be used for other purposes, as well.

That's about all I have to report. Just thought I'd keep the other restless restaurant voyeurs out there up to date.

Café Savoy
Vítězná 5
Prague 5
Tel. (+420) 257 311 562


View Larger Map

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cafe Savoy is good but too expensive now for the quality (service level specially with arrogant waitresses). The mini cakes for 2euros? please!

Brewsta said...

I sort of agree with you, but I still find value there, like with the ham omelet. The American Breakfast is expensive (in dollar terms especially), but you do get a lot and it is a very tasty meal.

Prices are going crazy almost everywhere. I agree, the cakes are too much, though. Keeps me from getting them.

We've had hit and miss service there, but more often good than bad.

Anonymous said...

A month ago, I was at south of France, I had a breakfast in the ordinary café - nothing else than coffee, half of the baguette, butter and jam. I paid 6 Euro, and it wasn't on a main street in a touristic area. So compared to western Europe, the prices in Savoy are still a bargain.